Sunday, March 16, 2014

New Book: The Maze Runner

Here is what my weekend consisted of: Work, The Veronica Mars Movie, and The Maze Runner. What is The Maze Runner, you ask? Well, I don't know myself. All I know so far from the first book is it's lining up to be the next dystopia of dystopias (supposedly, but I'm not banking on it) and the movie is slated to come out this fall, with the trailer being released in the next few days, if it hasn't been already. & I'm not trusting any of the "trailers" on youtube just yet.
the-maze-runner-movie-release-date-delayed
Courtesy of  Lytherus 
The new world created by  James Dashner is filled with slang terms that have taken the place of swear words, which was kinda nice, freakishly annoying, and highly inventive. He used the word bloody as a swear so much I could have sworn he was British, which he surprisingly never has been. Similar to Veronica Roth, he had no trouble randomly killing off main characters just because he could. 

The plot with all of it's inventiveness left me feeling a bit bereft. A mostly male cast, which was nice to see with the waves of strong female characters coming out lately, just wasn't my style, possibly because I'm a female. I've become used to those female characters, and surprisingly missed them. There was only one female in this cast of males, and they thought she was useless, which left little room to actually get to know her.

The ending is what did me over and put me on the fence, leaving me, as I typed, bereft. It ended as any good novel that has multiple parts to it does: leaving you wanting more. Wait! No it didn't. It just left me entirely confused, making sure I have to read the next novels to figure it out. If I can survive the writing style, which was also not something I'm a fan of. 

It departed from the first person, you know everything that a character is thinking, and what that character sees, to the third person where you see everything from an outside view. For me, that writing style is just hard to get into.

So I'm on the fence. I don't know if I want to finish the series or not. It'll take some time to work up the courage to foray back to this infuriating world that is taking too long to unfold, with characters that I dislike (and seem flat), and a writing style that makes the books harder to read. However, one of these days curiosity will get the best of me, guaranteed.

I could always look up the plots on wikipedia/online, but nothing bets actually reading the books firsthand will ensure that I get my hands on them. 

So, have you read this book, or have recommendations for what I can add to my repertoire? 

No comments:

Post a Comment