Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pain in dystopia

Well... it's Thursday yet again. so be prepared for another quote that I happen to love. And I hope you find some inspiration in it as well.

Quote:
"That's the thing about Pain. It demands to be felt" -- The Fault in our Stars by John Green

Quotes from TFIOS, courtesy of Yasmin
 I am proudly admitting at this point that I am a huge freaking John Green fan. You'll probably be seeing his quotes often just because he's extra quotable (this quote ranks #13. However, you probably won't be seeing many more from this particular list). But I'll try to space the quotes out a little even though it won't be that easy for me.

But back to the quote and why I think I should be applying it dystopia's. As usual, I'll keep the spoilers to a minimum - but no promises.

I mean, how often does Katniss get a change to feel that pain for everything that happened in the first novel? she doesn't. In Catching Fire, the demands of being a victor are constantly reminding her that it happened. She's constantly freaked out. President show gives her that ultimatum of proving her love for Peeta. Phew. Then she's thrust back into the arena as a sort of punishment.

****I usually dissent that books are better, but here is one teeny tiny instance where the movie beats the book. Not the whole movie, mind you - just this part. In the book, she can only guess that the government has the quarter quell planned as punishment whereas in the movie you actually get that glimpse of the government planning it.****

I'm sorry for that bunny trail, but back to what I'm supposed to be talking about. It's not until the end of the war in Mockingjay that Katniss really starts to feel that trauma set in. Everyone is either dead or she's lost them to another district. She held herself together just long enough to get through the war and after that she flat-lined. She was grief stricken and needed to deal with  her pain. Which she did... in that catatonic state that drove her for awhile.

This quote is so essentially true. Pain demands to be felt. And when it isn't felt... you can quite possibly end up like Katniss towards the end of Mockingjay as she learns to relive life, and even emotions. Hence, part of her being her catatonic. She had to learn how to feel again. The games essentially trained her not to feel, and the war only added to it.

That's just opinion though in relation to everything.

I hope you liked this week's quote. I had fun picking out, mainly because John Green is awesome. As always, feel free to disagree and let me know what you think!!

4 comments:

  1. I love the quote you picked. I think it is very strong in meaning and I like how you relate it to The Hunger Games. I am curious as to why this quote and the meaning it carries. Can you relate personally to it through your own pain? I know I can and I think that makes your post credible on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in the book this quote comes from (TFIOS), pain is a heavy handed emotion. At the part that it comes from, one of the characters had just become blinded, and one of the other characters let him trash basically everything, mainly basketball trophies, and said that quote. For this, I may have taken it a bit out of context.
      As for me, I'm more of a Katniss, not if the fact that I don't get the chance to let my emotions out, but in the fact that I choose not to. Probably part of the reason I like the quote so much: it resonates with me.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your connection with the quote and the hunger games. I am a huge fan of the hunger games and I definitely agree that Katniss was unable to feel any emotion. Great connection and great topic. I can't wait to hear more about your view on these amazing books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Reading your comment made me thing of the quote from Catching Fire (I think) that "there are no victors. only survivors."

    ReplyDelete